You can add records or transactions in two ways using the SmartClient:
- Add rows to data returned from a saved search and submit the new data with an update.
- Add records or transactions using a template.
To add rows to data returned from a saved search:
- Perform your saved search.
- At the bottom of the results table, enter data for your new record or transaction in the clear row above the colored footer.
An empty row is automatically added so that you can continue adding records or transactions if needed.
- When you have finished adding rows with new data, either select cells in the new rows and additional rows to update and clickUpdate Selected Rows, or click Update All .
Data must be inserted between the table’s colored header and footer rows in order to be added correctly to your NetSuite account.
To add records or transactions with a template:
- In the SmartClient toolbar, click the Add Records button.
- Choose an existing template to use that contains the columns for fields you need to add, or click Create New and follow the steps to create a new results template.
It may take a moment as the SmartClient loads data to fill in dropdown and multi-select fields.
- In the table created using your template, enter data for each column provided.
Note: Skip the first column, as this is reserved for the internal ID. The internal ID will be set when you add these records or transactions to your account.You may want to keep your NetSuite account open with a page open for the record or transaction you want to add to ensure you do not leave mandatory fields empty.
- Click Update All in the toolbar to add your records or transactions to NetSuite.
Tips for adjusting the format/layout of results templates:
For example, you have a file with 10,000 records. What is the appropriate format to use so that the SmartClient will either:
- insert each record as a separate transaction, or
- include for example, 10 line items for each transaction
How do the header columns need to be organized so that the SmartClient knows which line items belong to which transaction?
SmartClient identifies record boundaries by looking at the body fields. That’s why you need at least one body field on a SmartClient template. That body field needs to be non-empty. Below you will see examples of two layouts.
In the standard layout (green headers), SmartClient compares each body cell to the cell right below. If both cells contain the same value, the two rows potentially belong to the same record.
It does this check for each body field. If at least one field has 2 different values for the cells compared, SmartClient starts a new record.
The elegant layout (blue headers), looks at the first row that has non-empty body cells, and scans down until it finds another non-empty set of body cells.
The first line (the non-empty line) and all the following blank lines are treated as being part of the same record. The elegant layout is more intuitive.
The elegant layout is easier to fill up and should perform marginally faster. Other than that, either template is usable in this scenario.